top of page
logo homepage.png

The place

Listen to audio descriptions and the history of the emblematic places of the Manorhere.

The Lodge

Two magnificent gables of fifteen meters high characterize this gothic manor. It is built of Caumont stone, whose quarries, exploited since the Gallo-Roman era, are located on the left bank of the Seine.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie le Logis

In the 13th century, the manor house consisted of two large rooms :

  • the lodging of the farmer on the first floor

  • a noble room reserved for the monks on the second floor

This is characteristic of the 13th century, superb mullioned windows are visible on the first floor and on the second floor. The entrance door was pierced later, around 1500. Before the 16th century, the access was very secure. Some traces of a fortified house still remain.

 

The porch built next to the entrance door was built at the same time to allow an external access to the Romanesque cellar located under the building.

At the back of the dwelling, a tower with a spiral staircase was built in the 16th century to make it easier for the monks to reach the upper floor.


This tower is crowned with stone corbels supporting a gallery which was recently glazed, and which had formerly a defensive role.

Following excavations around the house, colored tiles were found. Thus, when the roof was redone in the 1990s, it was covered with glazed tiles in the same tones as the original roof.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie
Manoir de l'Aumônerie le Logis Tour de pierre

The Chapel of Saint-Gorgon

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Intérieur Chapelle Saint-Gorgon

An ancient oratory, the foundations of which were uncovered during archaeological excavations, was located on the present site of the chapel.

When the monks arrived on the property in 1500, a chapel dedicated to Saint Gorgon was built on the ruins of this oratory.


Gorgon was an officer in the entourage of the emperor Diocletian. Converted to Christianity, he refused, like his companion Dorotheus of Nicomedia, to recant his faith. They both died as martyrs in 302.


Since the Middle Ages until 1950, hundreds of pilgrims meet on September 9 in the chapel. Young people come to find their soul mate and have children, and old people come to ask for a cure for their rheumatism. The mass is followed by a turkey fair, a funfair and a ball.


Covered with a framework recovered from a building of the property of the XIIIth century, it is built in wood sides.

 

Inside, the chapel retains a renaissance ornament composed of frescoes representing the twelve Sibyls and the twelve Apostles.  

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Intérieur Chapelle Saint-Gorgon
Manoir de l'Aumônerie Extérieur Chapelle Saint-Gorgon

The Wells

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Intérieur Chapelle Saint-Gorgon Puits

In the oldest texts, the well, created at the time of the construction of the dwelling, had the reputation of being 300 feet deep (100 meters).

 

It was only restored to its former depth after extensive cleaning work, as it had become blocked during the Second World War. The well was blocked by more than 30m3 of various waste.


It is built with beautiful white stones coming, like those of the house, from the quarries of Caumont.

The Chenil

Built around 1600 in Caumont stone like the manor house and the well, it stands out from the other farm buildings on the property.

Was this building really used as a kennel? Wasn't it rather a henhouse? A hut for pigs?

 

We also think that it was a drying shed for medicinal herbs... To be continued!

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Chenil Crèmerie

The Longère

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Longère

The longère was, when the farm was in activity, a barn which sheltered the cattle. It is now a cottage.
 

After many exterior and interior works, La Longère is now a cottage. 

 

It can accommodate 6 people comfortably and has a small outdoor space to enjoy a barbecue or reading in the sun.

The Pressor

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Pressoir Pressor

The upper floor of the pressor was completely destroyed by fire in August 2017.

 

The restoration started in September 2020 with the financial help of public and private partners.

We wanted to give back to this space its original aspect with noble materials and a period architecture.

 

Today, the pressor hosts seminars and private events.

The Bakery

Built around 1600, we find inside the bakery the trace of an old bread oven.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Four à Pain Fournil Bakery

The Cartering

It was originally used as a garage for carts, then in the 1980s housed glass furnaces that were regularly used by artists.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Charretterie Carts

The Medieval Garden

Manoir de l'Aumônerie Jardin Médiéval - Medieval Garden
Manoir de l'Aumônerie - Jardin Médiéval - Medieval Garden

By the 1970s, the original garden had reverted to a wild state.


The owners wished to give it back its medieval aspect and use by planting plants cultivated at the time, thanks to a plan corresponding to the gardens of the Middle Ages.


A large part of the plant species known in the medieval period cohabit here:

  • vegetables (already cultivated in the properties of Charlemagne in the year 800): broad beans, mogettes, crambe, parsnips, lovage ...

  • Medicinal and aromatic herbs (used to make remedies, ointments and herbal teas): poppy, plantain, mint, thyme, rue, wolfsbane, etc.

  • fruits: raspberries, currants, rhubarb...,

  • flowers: nasturtium, iris, rose, carnation, ...

  • and one of the most precious spices of the time: saffron, which was brought back from the Crusades by the pilgrims.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie - Jardin Médiéval - Medieval Garden
Manoir de l'Aumônerie Jardin - Garden

A ring of apple, quince and pear trees forms a circular orchard around the chapel.

A boxwood labyrinth can also be seen to the west of the park.

More than 300 varieties of flowers, plants and trees have been planted in the medieval garden and in the park of the property.

Manoir de l'Aumônerie
Manoir de l'Aumônerie
Manoir de l'Aumônerie
bottom of page